MISC. NP. since we have talked about mindfulness here

Ian Livingston igrlivingston at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 10:56:02 CST 2015

Buddhism is just another religion. Mahayana is so like the Catholic church
it's no wonder there are so many crossover attendees in both denominations.
Chan resembles Orthodoxy in many ways, and Hinayana and Zen are like
protestant derivatives of their forebears.

The parallels break down in details, but the overarching themes remain
pretty equivalent. You're as likely to achieve satori in Catholic mystical
practices as in any of Buddhist lineages, depending on the metaphors that
serve you best. Another excellent route to a very similar experience, I
think, is the deep study of any of the physical sciences.