M & D Group Read (cont.)

Thomas Eckhardt thomas.eckhardt at uni-bonn.de
Mon Jan 22 06:09:40 CST 2018

Speaking of checking off the obvious: The bar joke is echoed later on in
the Captive's Tale (p. 511 ff.), that is it points forward to Zarpazo,
the Wolf of Jesus, and Captain Zhang, the Chinaman (although, as Zhang
emphasises, not necessarily a Lascivious Chinaman).

China and Chinamen come in through the Jesuits exploits in China and
via, very broadly speaking, Feng Shui vs. Jesuit rationality and
scientific prowess. But keep in mind that Captain Zhang and Zarpazo may
actually be one and the same person.

Behind this I see, as I said, Hofstadter's essay with its take on
Masonic and Jesuit conspiracy theories. The Captive's Tale appears to be
inspired by the novel "Awful Disclosures", mentioned by Hofstadter.

As for the balloons, see Francesco Lana de Terzi and Bartolomeu de Gusmão.

I have no idea, however, who the Corsican might be...

-
Pynchon-l / http://www.waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l