The prophetic genius of BLEEDING EDGE

John Bailey sundayjb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 19:19:32 CDT 2018

Here's a really intriguing interview with Tim Berners-Lee, the man who
invented the World Wide Web and who has spent the last few decades
watching it go terribly wrong. He's currently working on Solid, a new
something-or-other that he hopes will repair the Internet by
're-decentralising' it.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07/the-man-who-created-the-world-wide-web-has-some-regrets?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

And this recent TED talk by Jaron Lanier (another person who shaped
the early web and who thinks it is broken now) is equally optimistic.
Referring to email and Facebook etc he says "We cannot have a society
in which, if two people wish to communicate, the only way that can
happen is if it's financed by a third person who wishes to manipulate
them." And then puts forward credible proposals for fixing things.
(caveat: it's TED so as always take the optimism and we-can-do-this
talk with a heaped spoonful of sodium)
https://en.tiny.ted.com/talks/jaron_lanier_how_we_need_to_remake_the_internet