Pynchon's Russia--US

Thomas Eckhardt thomas.eckhardt at uni-bonn.de
Fri Feb 1 08:25:40 CST 2019

As for "That no good" in the Ginsberg poem being African-American
Vernacular, as I suggested, here is Wiki on AAV:

'The copula be in the present tense is often dropped, as in Russian, Hebrew,
Arabic and other languages. For example: You crazy ("You're crazy") or She
my sister ("She's my sister"). The phenomenon is also observed in questions:
Who you? ("Who're you?") and Where you at? ("Where are you (at)?"). This has
been sometimes considered a Southern U.S. regionalism, though it is most
frequent in black speech.'