The Literature of Waste

Nicole Bennett nlbennett at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 18:34:35 CST 2019

In my mind, it recalls the "wasted humans" that Laura Kelber mentioned and
about which sociologist Zygmunt Bauman has written. Members of W.A.S.T.E
are marginal on a number of levels (racially, politically, economically,
mental healthfully, etc.) and whenever we're talking about those within, on
the edges, and outside of dominant social structures, then waste comes to
serve as a powerful metaphor to describe and keep marginal/excluded the
people who "don't belong."

Mary Douglas (a mid-century structural anthropologist popular now among
discard studies people) theorizes waste (or, in her terms, "dirt") in these
ways in her book *Purity and Danger*: "As we know it, dirt is essentially
disorder. There is no such thing as absolute dirt: it exists in the eye of
the beholder. If we shun dirt, it is not because of craven fear, still less
dread of holy terror. Nor do our ideas about disease account for the range
of our behaviour in cleaning or avoiding dirt. *Dirt offends against order*.
Eliminating it is not a negative movement, but a positive effort to
organise the environment."

The same can basically be applied to how we determine our social
environment by distinguishing the "they" against the "us," discursively
including and excluding particular humans from our social accounting.