Today in the Zone: Eisheiligen

bulb bulb at vheissu.net
Mon May 13 11:26:58 CDT 2019

Am from Rocket-Town Antwerp and have been living in the Netherlands for the last 15 years – too long a story to tell.

The “Eisheiligen” refers to the fact that these days are (theoretically) the last ones where the soil can get frozen and some plants cannot survive. My father refused to plant leeks, beans, tomatoes for sure, and some others before the Eisheiligen were over. I think this is more or less common knowledge in the North of France, the BeNeLux and parts of Germany (on these days you will hear the national weather forecast regularly  mention it).

Pynchon Notes had an article on the Eisheiligen: Bohm, Arnd. "The 'Cold Sophie' of  <http://doi.org/10.16995/pn.75> Gravity's Rainbow". Pynchon Notes # 50-51 p. 118-121 (2002), available at https://pynchonnotes.openlibhums.org/articles/abstract/10.16995/pn.75/. Interestingly enough I only learned through Gravity’s Rainbow that the Cold Sophie existed.

The inverse happens I believe in US East Coast Fall: Indian Summer, an unexpected raise in temperature that can disappear from one day to the other. However this phenomenon is way more arbitrary (no ‘fixed’dates).

I always have the feeling after the Eisheiligen that Summer can kick off. Weather was excellent today and no frost is expected tonight.

Michel.