V. as a recurring character

Ted Samsel tejas at infi.net
Tue May 9 05:03:56 CDT 1995

Ron sez:

> You know , I was thinking about this pictograph of the V made up of smaller
> V's.  I realize it is a visual icon for the entire novel, and a warning for
> literary critics.  The novel is one large V made up of, or containing many
> smaller V's.  We search for V but are we finding one of the smaller V's that
> make up the one larger (true?) V.  Or are all the small V's necessary to
> constitute the large one.  Are we being sidetracked by a small component V
> that is blinding us to the larger picture?  Are we missing the forest for the
> vees?

And on the other hand, this could just be clever typography by the
book designer. Not that Pynchon is incapable of this (quien sabe?).
I recall that this was the heyday of the concrete poets.... still had
the coal fired musical linotype.

Back before the days of POSTSCRIPT.

And feliz cumplea~os, TRP.

Ted Samsel....tejas at infi.net.com/bh419 at freenet-in-a.cwru.edu...
     "driving a Hudson Hornet on the information superhighway"