Chaos, Fractals & GR

WildForest at aol.com WildForest at aol.com
Sat May 20 13:34:25 CDT 1995

As the ancient redwood falls to the logger, or a sweet patch of No. Cal.
weed to the inveterate CAMP agent, so too does the text of Gravity's
Rainbow give way to the desperate critic.  Everyone must pursue
their own individual deconstructionist niche, I guess, a private
peephole on the Work, to sing as it were a solo rather than a chorus.
Now everybody, indeed...

Don't get me wrong.  I've succombed to similar solipsisms, having
written my dissertation on a comparison of Gaddis's JR and TRP's GR,
a cross-textual analysis that was as absurd and meaningless as
anything ever contemplated by Derrida and his crowd.  Fun at the
time, embarrassing as hell today.

But 15 years later, and only a few days into the bracing disputes of
this newsgroup about what the Master may have known about the
then secret science of chaos theory and fractal imagery (knowledge
passed on to him, no doubt, the whiz kids up here at Boeing, all those
many years ago, who, natch, are always so far ahead of the curve), a
question scrapes at the information-saturated edges of consciousness:
Will we have to stop watching the text?  This text, in particular, that
once seemed so self-contained, animate, and full of mindless, if not
entirely polymorphous, pleasures.

Has Pynchon criticism slid into an entropic-like drift toward
rendering the living page itself inanimate, where the rainbow colors
of the book are reduced to red, black, and white, where the glorious
middles are excluded and the remains reassembled to fit some pre-
conceived notion of what the book's architecture should look like
(parabola or mandela? Poisson distribution or Puritanical
Predetermination? Norbert Weiner overload or Wittgensteinnian
crack-up? Jerry Lewis slapstick or Frizt Langian
expressionism?)...even if the evidence for these theories from the
language itself is only accidental, statistical, imposed from the
outside like a Hermenuedic stencil, a kind of critical narcissism, a
connect-the-dots picture where, mirabile dictu, the critic adds most
of the dots, or some textual conspiracy theory worthy of the Christic
Institute, or even Sir Stephen Dodson-Truck, himself?

Am I alone in feeling that Caroline Spurgeon's book Shakespeare's
Imagery reduces instead of enhances a reading of, say, Timon of
Athens?  That that damn Northrup Frye turned the hilarious
Euripides into a kind of weather-obsessed sourpuss?  Perhaps,
someone should ask Edward Teller his opinion about the ballistic
imagery of GR...I am sure he could contribute a chilling insight or
two, eh?

>From the evidence presented so far in this discussion I am convinced
that a Chaos approach could easily be developed for the long poems
of the French symbolist Gerard de Nerval, or even Ovid, for that
matter.  Did they acquire this information through some sort of
dabbling in the dark arts?

I guess my question is this:  If this technocratic approach must be
thrown at Pynchon, why not apply it as an explication of Vineland,
which explicitly, and recursively, plays with fractals, chaos theory,
and the like?  Or better, yet, why not play mathematical games with
Samuel Beckett's Watt--now there's a novel that is just begging to be
buggered by this kind of criticism.

GR's is as encyclopedic a novel as yer likely to come across this
century, including that grim prude Proust and the wonderful lecher
James Joyce.  After reading it 20 times or so, I've concluded that if it
ain't there explicitly, it ain't there implicitly...no matter what those
Freudian critics may argue about the subconscious's irresistable urge
to slip a few secret joists into the novel's superstructure.

This is, of course, my limited and Billy Pilgrim-like pov, guided by an
unremitting instinct to side with the Glozing Neuters of the world
rather than the Pointsman's.

BTW my favorite name in GR:  Thomas Gwenhidwy (Go and hide
away?)

Also for those interested in reading a collection of Pynchon's letters
to the editor of a small No. Cal. weekly (the best damn paper in
Boonville) consider a subscription to the Anderson Valley Advertiser,
which will soon publish them all.  They were written while TP lived
in Humbolt Co. while working on Vineland under the wonderful
pseudonym:  Wanda Tanasky.

Jeffrey St. Clair
Stumptown, Oregon

"...across the snow's footprints and tiretracks finally to the path you
must create by yourself, alone in the dark.  Whether you want it or
not, whatever seas you crossed, the way home..."