Insane

andrew at cee.hw.ac.uk andrew at cee.hw.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 11:17:00 CDT 1997

Christine Karatnytsky writes:
> I am not the one to say, but it seems to me that "insane" is particularly
> British.

Mens insana in corpore insano, no doubt that that's us Brits to a T.
I'll check the OED this evening to see if `insane' has a secret
history.  Personally, I'd go for loony, loopy, potty, doolally or some
of the other more choice variations as being `particularly' British
(not to mention the twisted, self-inflicted and Prodigious `psycho
somatick attick insane'). And of course there is that old chestnut
`eccentric' which seems to be the epithet most favoured by non-Brits
on Brits.

Andrew Dinn