MDMD(5) Chap 16----Questions

Eric Alan Weinstein E.A.Weinstein at qmw.ac.uk
Sun Aug 3 19:20:52 CDT 1997

CHAP 16

167.2  "The narrative lengths Mason will go to, to avoid
betraying her" From p 171, we intuit that Rebekah is a city
wife whose honour Mason decides to protect by turning
her into a Country wife. Considering the preponderance of
pairings of Astronomers and Prostitutes, could it not be
that that was her profession? It would certainly explain why
Mason might be reluctant to divulge the true story. Also,
if someone called Rebekah really was the wife of Charles
Mason
does anyone have any information here?

167.20  " the extraordinary Cheese, as it slowly aged, had already
provided material for months of public Rumor." Imagine living
in a town so small that ageing cheese is a hot topic! It does seem
that Mr. Pynchon has become familiar with the  interpersonal
dynamics of small towns---everyone knowing each other’s business
and living in each others pockets. This provides a constant
background hum to the shifting scenery in many chapters.
I wonder if living in a small town in Northern California for several
years had anything to do with this? Anyone care to pick up on these
thoughts?

168.8  "Traditionally, the cheeses to be blessed are ritually
rolled thrice ’round the churchyard"
I take it this local English custom is also a piece of  Chinese
mysticism, a la the Gov. of Hong Kong driving around his
Mansion three times for good luck, making sure he safely
returns. Anyone know more?

170.13  "The Vicar had decided for reasons of safety
to roll nothing greater than a Double Gloucester down the Hill—
yet as if ordain’d by some invariance in the Day’s Angular
Momentum (
) the Octuple’s Waggon broke away (
)
launching the Cheese into the air
"
The Cheese seems to obey the Tellurick Earth, and not the
Vicar. Notice also that Rebekah’s ghost, at

171.35,  " occupies now an entirely new angular relation to Mercy."
Comments? Expansions? Exemptions? Parking Tickets?

172.10  "Music in F-sharp minor" What are the famous pieces
in F sharp minor? Is this key associated with anything in particular?
Perhaps I should attend that class, Music and Meaning with Leonard
Bast from Howard’s End.  Perhaps I shall also develop a comic stutter.

172.17  "Tellurick Secrets" Anyone for a discussion of the mythic roots,
the TLUSCVA , Tellus and Tellumo, of which I know not much, or the
New Age stuff that uses/abuses it? Or anything posted in the Comments
for Chap 15 that relates to this?

172.25  "slain Forest" Slain? Chopped down?

173.16  "Why did you not, rather, ask after him? His Fate has
Consequences within my own."  What do you think Maskelyne
alludes to here? Are only guesses possible? Did anyone else
get the impression that Nevil is in love with Dieter? It would
provide some symmetry with Charlie and Rebekah. And what
about that possible Brideshead connection? See also below---

173.27 "I think the two of ye need some time together"

174.4  "Dhow" Anyone know what type of ship?

174.5  "Twenty Rix-Dollars!" How much? What’s
the backround to the currency?

Eric Alan Weinstein
University of London
E.A.Weinstein at qmw.ac.uk