Publisher's Weekly

Doug Millison millison at online-journalist.com
Thu Aug 14 11:00:06 CDT 1997

Reading the Don DeLillo interview in this week's Publisher's Weekly felt
strange -- lots of emphasis about how "reclusive" he is, publicity shy,
guarding his private life from public view, comparisons (the journalist's,
not DeLillo's) with Pynchon and Salinger in that regard, yet, there he is,
being interviewed for marketing and publicity purposes.  It made me think
how glad I am that Pynchon has chosen to stay out of that, and it's made me
ponder why that feels important -- it's the idea, as many others have
expressed I know, that he refrains from making himself the object of
celebrity, keeping the focus on his art, forcibly perhaps keeping the focus
on his essential mystery as a person and individual. It's wonderful that an
artist of his stature and popularity can thus stay out of the public maw.

Also in this week's Publisher's Weekly, Paul DiFilippo's "Fractal Paisleys"
story collection gets a favorable review, calling him "one of the most
talented humorists in contemporary fantasy and SF."

D O U G  M I L L I S O N ||||||||||||| millison at online-journalist.com