Independents/Deepen(Sun)dance (was Re: Book Selling/Censor

Henry Musikar gravity at nicom.com
Thu Aug 14 16:11:31 CDT 1997

<snip>

He wrote:
> Yellow strength please.

(Thanks for taking the setup. hdm)

> "We are getting to a point where many people do not live near
> any independent shops" ?  I disagree.  In the big cities there
> always are ones,

Ones!!!

> and most rural areas have them because they
> have to.

And they're often as bad as a small town library. ;-)

> BTW there's an excellent independent bookstore near
> you in Gaithersburg about hmm 2 blocks from 355 on Shady
> Grove Rd.

Yeah, and another good one here at (how embarassing an
address) "Congressional Plaza"

> As for "other people don't care" I must say, let's worry about
> ourselves more and other people less in this issue.

I beg to differ. The French government at one time considered (I
don't know if they enacted) tariffs against 'merc'n produce, largely
to protect (scoff if you will) their more expensive and tastier food
against the invasion of mass production. Yes, there are good
independents, but most are only "convenient." In touting the internet
as a playing field levelour, we invite new, faceless Gargantuas.
There a numerous independent book and record stores that are gone
from and mourned by large populations of big cities.

Mmm. This Starbucks coffee has got to be the best there is!

Whose bookstore was this? Did they have hard backs? I've seen web
sites of hard backs. And I'd love to have held one.

AsB4,
Henry Musikar
(-::-)
Keep cool, but care. -- TRP
Moderation in moderation. -- Husky Mariner
DON'T PANIC! -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
What, me worry? -- A. E. Newman