SoCal

argus. argus at city-net.com
Sat Jun 26 17:47:02 CDT 1999

>What they say about surfing is true, then, eh?
>
>Chris

Hee.  Well, there is something amazingly philosophy-inducing
about surfing.  I cant think of a sport that takes so little
equipment and puts you in direct contact with such a massive
force.  Im not afraid of anything and after being rolled by
1000s of gallons of water I almost couldnt force myself to go
back out.  The best comparison i can think of in terms of
grace v. natural force is dragon fighting.  :>  It havent surfed much.

Iv actually *just* moved back to the East coast for a year, and Ive
been thinking about the line from that Chicago journalists column
that got made into a song, "Everybody's free to wear sunscreen"...
The line says, "Live in New York for a year, but leave before it
makes you hard.  Live in Northern California for a year, but leave
before it makes you soft. "  Pynchon's done both.  But while i
definately read an "authentic" NoCal from him, his New York in MD
certainly didnt feel like NYC to me.  It's, as, not Hard enough.
(V i'd say it felt like NYC, tho.)  Perhaps you folks up there
would like to comment.  :>

susanargus