IVIV some reader response/cultural context for Doc: Philip Marlowe

Doug Millison dougmillison at comcast.net
Thu Aug 20 11:15:36 CDT 2009

John, I'm sorry you're choosing to make this personal. I disagree with
your interpretation of Marlowe, and please note I've been talking
about Marlowe and not you.   If you want to continue writing posts
about me and what you think of me, that's your choice.

Despite his powder blue suit and charm, after spending a couple of
weeks in Marlowe's company, I've come to think that I don't much like
him, even though he does show some good qualities along with the parts
I don't care for.

He reminds me of other WW II veterans I've known, who despite some
admirable personal qualities, never managed to overcome some
unattractive beliefs about black people, women, homosexuals, rock and
roll, and marijuana that have made it difficult for me to enjoy much
time in their presence.

I don't think I'd like to hang around with Blicero, either, but I do
love reading about him in GR.   books are for me a window into a part
of his world, I enjoy looking through Chandler's Sportellian keyhole,
thank goodness I don't have to live that world. I've got enough
problems sorting out my own moral and ethical situation in this broken
world of ours here and now.